Friday, November 30, 2007

The Luminous Mysteries of the Rosary

The First Luminous Mystery THE BAPTISM OF THE LORD -John is baptizing in the Jordan proclaiming a baptism of repentance. -"I am the voice of one crying in the desert, make straight the way ofthe Lord." -"One mightier than I is coming after me." -"I have baptized you with water, He will baptize you with the HolySpirit." -Seeing Jesus, John exclaims: "Behold the Lamb of God." -After Jesus' baptism a voice from Heaven: "This is my beloved Son inwhom I am well pleased." -The Spirit descends upon Jesus in the form of a dove. -In this heavenly manifestation is instituted the sacrament of baptism.-The divine Trinity is manifested: the voice of the Father is heard asthe Spirit descends upon the Son. -Filled with the Holy Spirit, Jesus was led by the Spirit into thedesert for 40 days. Spiritual Fruit: Gratitude for the gift of FaithThe Second Luminous Mystery THE WEDDING OF CANA -Jesus, His Mother and disciples were invited to a wedding in Cana. -During the wedding feast the wine ran short. -Mary turned to Jesus: "They have no wine." -Jesus replied: "What would you have me do? My hour has not yet come." -Mary said to the waiters: "Do whatever he tells you." -There were six stone water jars, each holding fifteen to twentygallons. -Jesus bids the waiters to fill the jars with water, and then draw someout and take it to the chief steward. -The chief steward said to the groom: "Every man serves the good winefirst... but you have saved the good wine until now." -At Mary’s request, Jesus worked His first miracle. -By His presence, Christian marriage was raised to the dignity of aSacrament. Spiritual Fruit: FidelityThe Third Luminous Mystery THE PROCLAMATION OF THE KINGDOM -"Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand." -"My kingdom is not of this world." -"Unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enterthe kingdom of heaven." -"Whoever does not accept the kingdom of God as a little child will notenter into it." -"I have come to call sinners, not the just." -"Love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you." -"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."-"Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall besatisfied." -"Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirsis the kingdom of heaven." -"You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church... I willgive you the keys of the kingdom of heaven." Spiritual Fruit: Desire for HolinessThe Fourth Luminous Mystery THE TRANSFIGURATION -Jesus took Peter, James and John up a high mountain to pray. -Jesus was transfigured before them. -"His face became as dazzling as the sun, his clothes as radiant aslight." -This was to fortify their faith to withstand the coming tragedy of thePassion. -Jesus foresaw the 'scandal of the cross,' and prepared them for it bythis manifestation of His glory. -Moses and Elias (representing the Law and the prophets of the OldTestament) were conversing with Jesus about His passion. -"Do not think I have come to destroy the Law or the Prophets... but tofulfill them." -From a cloud came a voice: "This is my beloved Son, listen to Him." -Jesus admonishes them not to tell the vision to anyone until the Sonof Man rises from the dead. -We too will behold the transfigured Jesus on the Last Day. Spiritual Fruit: Spiritual CourageThe Fifth Luminous Mystery THE INSTITUTION OF THE EUCHARIST -I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. -Jesus took bread, blessed it: "Take and eat, this is My Body." -Taking the wine: "This cup is the new covenant in my Blood, shed foryou." -At that eucharistic meal, Jesus celebrated the first Mass. -At every Mass the sacrifice of Calvary is made present. -At the Last Supper Jesus instituted the sacrament of Holy Orders toperpetuate this sacrifice. -"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I inhim." -The Eucharist is a sacrifice inasmuch as it is offered up, and asacrament inasmuch as it is received. -In the Mass we offer ourselves to God, and God gives himself to us. -The Mass will be fruitful in the measure of our surrender to theFather. Spiritual Fruit: Love of our Eucharistic Lord

No comments: